Wednesday 17 August 2016

Hogganfield Park LNR - Grebes and more

On Monday I travelled over to Hogganfield Park LNR to check out the Great Crested Grebes that had laid 2 eggs on one of the BioHavens installed by the Friends of Glasgow's LNRs. I arrived just after 3pm and watched and photographed the grebes with great interest. The following photos, which can be viewed as a slide show, detail what I found!








Success, one youngster had hatched, possibly whilst I was there! (I subsequently found out that another birder had recorded one of the adults turning the eggs in the morning, so it definitely hatched on Monday).

Two other pairs of Great Crested Grebes have been successful with broods of 2 and 3; this is one of the youngsters ...



In addition to the grebes there was still a brood of 11 Tufted duckling (record shot) ...

 
  In amongst the 100s of other gulls, a Great Black-backed Gull was a bit of a surprise ..
 
 
.. as was my second ever sighting of a Water Rail - poor cropped photo ........
 
 
Finally, there were good numbers of adult and juvenile Willow Warblers, which posed for me as I was attacked by swarming, flying ants ....
 

 
What a brilliant day!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment